Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Power of Infulence

Just a happy little story here -
As I entered the 7th grade, you know how important it is to choose your friends wisely! Well, Kristi will always be counted as my "Best Friend" - As mentioned in a previous post - We met Helicia in 7th grade and fast became a BFF trio!
Although there are many people that I count as friends then and now - I have always had a soft spot in my heart for my friend and "Big Brother" Trevor Wilson...

Althought he would disagree - he was "IT" in JR High and HS... Somehow, through a 7th grade PE class he became one of the most Powerful Influences in my young life.
I was "known", because I had lived in the same town since before Kindergarten, but not "popular". Well when the popular girls were chasing Trevor - lol, and snotty to me, we decided to trick them! Because we had the same last name, and Trevor was actually older than me, he became my "Big Brother". You should have seen the girls after the word got out... Haha
I never quite figured out why none of our other friends who had know both of us for years never said anything - but I didn't care either!
Trevor fulfilled his title to perfection - he protected me, and made sure I was OK. One time - I forgot my PE shorts... another girl, Dawn I believe, let me use a pair of her "short shorts" Yikes! Trevor imediately pulled off his sweats and gave them to me.
As time ticked on - I found that I wanted to be a good example, I wanted to be worthy of being his little sister. I didn't want to be an embarrasment to him...
He was strong, and good! I admired him for these qualities -

10 years after graduation from HS - at our HS reunion, I met his wife and 2 of his kids...We began the Christmas card trade - you know wives are better at that than guys are! Anyway, over the years We have kept in contact this way. Well in February, Barb, Trevors wife called and was coming to town. Her sister was moving to PHX and they wanted to stop by and get some info. We had a nice visit and I let them continue their house hunt with the promise of a future visit when the whole family was in town. March 24 they were back - Trev, Barb, and kids (even 2 nephews) They came for dinner we visited and man do I wish they were closer geographicly! We would have too much fun hanging out! But they are on their way to UT. He will open a new HS in SLC, as Athletic Director. This will be the 1st of 15 yrs he has not been both AD and Head FB coach...
It's hard to adequately put into words - but hopefully you get the drift - I thought the world of him, still do :-) Anyway - here's our picture - sheesh I'm getting old!


23 years after graduation... Still my big brother - Thanks for coming guys!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

What a lovely post. Isn't life wonderful? I am happy for you that you were able to see your big brother, Trevor, again. Sounds like he's a really good guy!